Lost Random Chatter

Sunday, July 31, 2005

 

some practical introspection

basically want to commit this to my memory, hence typing it out as the pieces click into place in my head...

- respect- one form of it - is keeping ur word....
I respect u- so when I tell u that I will do X - I do X, or I do a modified version of X- hmmm- I act upon doing X..

hmm?

- going by that, I really don't respect myself- I tell me I will do something- and 10 times out of 11 squirm & squeeze out of the doing... and 9 times out of that I don't bother with explanations..shrug.. "It's just me..."..

"a weak will power" is perhaps just an euphemism for this basic lack of respect.... and perhaps the basis for my 'time inconsistency syndrome'...

needless to say, this lack of connection between respect and 'keeping my word' has extended to people other than me- damaging consequences, of course- at the lightest- being hailed as irrefutable proof for the unpunctual indian stereotype, and at the more grim side of things- loss of credibility and a certain bleeding of faith in my closest relationships...

... So, what am I going to do about it ?
(You see, this is the crux of the matter- it is at the doing that I falter, stumble and fall...!)

.....take it one small step at a time (i'm easily overwhelmed)..
...will keep you posted as I hit some (any?) milestones.

*****
milestone 1: managed to stay off the net for a good 24 hours (except for uni. email) to get some pressing work done...

2: didnt kill myself for little lapses- moved into the next 24...

*CRASHHHH* borrowed a couple of books from the county library- started reading 'The Prince of Tides' (Pat Conroy)- kept going all night till I finished it- after telling myself "just one more chapter" for the initial dozen...
& no- it wasn't the book...

- am I hopeless or am I hopeless....

Comments:
food for me soul; sometimes booze..!
 
When i was your age, i used to keep hoping i would snap out of it one day and suddenly learn some discipline. Hasn't happened yet. Still hoping..
 
um, i realized that the "when i was your age" sounds a bit pompous.. Sheesh.
i'm growing old.
 
this ones very interesting and damn funny too...:)

"I do X, or I do a modified version of X- hmmm- I act upon doing X.."
the thought that u r SO careful in wording it....boy u r a lazy kid arentyu?
 
fingee-k: wonder what I will be like when i'm your age? :> :P

lit: it's nice to have u pick up the humour- i type out these sincere (?) posts and all the while there is this green devilish imp sitting on my right shoulder- grinning with all his teeth showing, periodically cracking up, "You bet!"...
and on a more serious (uhm) note, u could chk out 'It is funny' on d archives of this blog.

P: giving up on oneself- hmmmm- i'm sure it confers a "weird selective advantage" only if you don't dissect it ad infinitum ... hm? no hope for u or me there.. ;)
 
you'll do just fine as long as you don't turn out like me :)
 
aren't we being a little too easy on ourself?
or is it merely some subtle shade of a carefully crafted survival strategy?

:>
 
i would like to believe its the latter.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   January 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?