Lost Random Chatter

Friday, May 20, 2005

 

Sorites paradox

Edward (not really Edward!) tells me about Sorites paradox.
"Does a heap of rice remain a heap if you take away one grain from it?"
"Yes....Oh I see - One grain of rice is a heap of rice!!!"

But we need to assign a threshold- a point where the heap of rice becomes a handful- and a handful does not remain a handful if u take away a grain from it...
But I suppose to that he would say that a handful of rice is then a heap of rice...
so u assign limits...and say that a heap of rice enters a twilight zone where rules about a heap of rice cant be applied to it....and it moves on to handfuls where each grain counts...

wish I could translate this into math..
Neway, must remember to tell Edward about the twilight zone when I see him next..!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005   September 2005   January 2006  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?